CARE & USE
Congratulations on your purchase of premium Cuisinel Cast Iron cookware!
You are now embarking on a culinary journey steeped in a cooking tradition that started over 2500 years ago.
YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.
Cast Iron Cookware is built to last a lifetime – and beyond. However, with all things precious, it needs to be treated with love, care and respect.
Yes: Our top-of-the-line cast iron cookware is pre-seasoned.
However, all professionals and experts agree, the name of the game in cast iron is:
SEASON, SEASON, SEASON!
Just an extra moment of your time – and a small dollop of oil - will keep your cast iron cookware in top working performance for the rest of your life – and will actually improve your cookware over time!
WHAT TO COOK FIRST
Yes, your pan does come pre-seasoned!
But, the first encounter with your pan will make all the difference in the world.
To create the ultimate non-stick surface that will last a lifetime, cook a food high in fat or oil first. This will bring out all the non-stick benefits of your pan for years to come. After first use, cook as usual, enjoying the pleasures of non-stick benefits and consistent heat distribution.
1. Simply wipe down the entire pan (interior, exterior and handle) with oil (insert types of oil that are good for seasoning here). Use a towel to distribute the oil evenly. No need to have the pan dripping in oil. Just a coating of oil to give it a nice sheen will do.
2. Cook as usual, enjoying the pleasures of cast iron’s non-stick health benefits and consistent heat distribution.
1. Clean pan. You may use soap
3. Season: wipe down the entire pan with oil – interior, exterior and handle(s).
You’re done! Wasn’t that easy?
This extra step of post-seasoning after every use will prevent moisture in the air from creating rust on your cast iron cookware – as well as infuse the cast iron with extra layers of nonstick that famously make cast iron the go-to amongst industry professionals.
Do not dip the entire pan in water.
Use a minimal amount of soap – if needed.
Be sure to dry the pan as thoroughly as possible.
Season when dry: wipe down the entire pan with oil – interior, exterior and handle(s).
FULL SEASONING / RESTORING
RUST ON YOUR CAST IRON?
Cast iron rusts easily when not dried properly or when exposed to humidity. You can prevent rust on your cookware by always drying it thoroughly and promptly (no air drying!), storing it in a dry place, and making sure never to soak it in water or put it in a dishwasher.
If rust does form (it happens to the best of us!), carefully remove by scrubbing the affected area with kosher salt and steel wool. Then clean the cookware as you do after every use. Re-season using below instructions to return your pan to its original non-stick, seasoned state.
From time to time, it is recommended to do a full seasoning. This can be done before first use or whenever you see fit. It should also be done after restoring a rusty pan.
1) CLEAN: Make sure the pan is cleansed of any rust or dirt. Dry the pan on Medium flame until it is thoroughly dry.
2) WIPE: Wipe down the entire pan with oil including handle and bottom of pan using a clean cloth. Make sure there is no excess oil, only a shiny coating over the pan.
3) SEASON: Line the bottom rack of your oven with aluminum foil as some dripping may occur. Put the entire pan in the oven at 350-degrees for 45 minutes to an hour. Cuisinel silicone handles are oven-safe.
Signs that it’s time to re-season or that your pan is not well seasoned:
Food gets stuck to pan
Heat is not distributed evenly
It starts to rust
The dry oil begins to flake
DO NOT PANIC!
Cast Iron is very forgiving and can, thankfully, be easily nursed back to health.
In most cases, a couple of “Full Seasonings” (see above) will restore your cookware to its pristine luster.
In case of rust, be sure to scrub the rust off with a scrub-brush or chainmail (sold separately) before cleaning and doing a couple of “Full Seasonings”.
WE'D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Again, we absolutely love our customers – so, from the entire Cuisinel family, we extend a huge thank for your purchase – and invite you to reach out to us at any time, for any reason.